大佛史第二十八章:大象和猴子生為天神的故事(中英對照)

文章 Tranquillity » 2019-12-31, 18:34

大佛史的作者是缅甸三藏持者明昆西亚多,1954年到1956年,佛教史上第六次聖典結集的主持者之一。
大佛史很像是佛陀的個人傳記,不同於佛經的是,這本書是有時間順序的。

大象和猴子生為天神的故事
(節錄自「大佛史第二十八章」)(中英對照)

Story of Pālileyyaka elephant
波利耶聚落大象的故事
At that time there was a certain full grown male-elephant, the leader of a herd, living still with young males, females, courting males and sucklings. Living in this manner he had to feed on the grass without the tender tips; all the branches and twigs brought down from the trees by him were eaten up by other elephants. He also had to drink muddy water. Besides, when he rose from the ford, females went past by pushing him.
在那時候那裡有一隻已經完全長大的公象,一個象群的領袖,與年輕的象,母象,求偶的公象與幼象們在一起生活。以這樣的方式生活牠必須吃沒有尖端部分的植物;所有牠從樹上帶下來的的樹枝與細枝都被其他大象吃掉。牠還必須喝泥濘的水。此外,當牠從淺灘起來,母象經過會推擠到牠。
Then it occurred to him thus: "Living with such members of my herd compels me to eat the grass; the tender tips of which are gone as have been eaten earlier by others. Whatever I have brought down from the trees are devoured by them. It is the turbid water that I have to drink. Female elephants jostle my body when I come up from the water. Were it well if I would live away from the herd!" So thinking, he left the
然後牠突然想到這樣:「和迫使我吃尖端部分被吃掉的植物的群體成員一起生活。無論我從樹上帶下什麼都被牠們吃個精光。我必須喝的是渾濁的水。當我從水裡起來的時候母象推擠到我的身體。我若是離群索居該有多好!」這樣想著,牠離開了
[14]
herd and happened to come to the Buddha near the huge sāla tree in the Pālileyyaka Rakkhita forest.
象群而且碰巧遇到了佛陀在巨大的婆羅雙樹於波利耶聚落守護森林中。
(Herein Pālileyyaka was originally the name of the village. The original name of the forest was Rakkhita. Since the Rakkhita forest was near the village of Pālileyyaka, it was also called Pālileyyaka, by "way of its nearness (samīpūpacāra)". The elephant that had come to that forest was also referred to as Pālileyyaka elephant-king.)
(在此波利耶是這個聚落原本的名字。這座森林原本的名字是守護。因為守護森林在波利耶聚落附近,它也被叫做波利耶,以它的鄰近(samīpūpacāra)而得名」。那隻來到森林的大象也被稱為波利耶大象王。」
Service rendered by Pālileyyaka Elephant to the Buddha
波利耶大象對佛陀的供養
When the elephant, being sick of living with the herd and entering the forest he saw the Buddha seated at the foot of the sāla tree; on seeing him he felt calm like a man who has his grief allayed by the water from a thousand pots; with devotion in his heart, he was attached to the Buddha and stood near him. From that time onwards, as his daily routine, he swept the ground around the Bhaddasāla tree and the Buddha's dwelling place with a twig so that the ground might be cleared of grass and plants; he brought water to the Buddha for washing the face; he fetched water for his bathing; he offered a small twig to be used as a tooth-cleaner; he brought sweet, delicious fruit of different sizes and offered them to the Buddha, who took them for food.
當這隻大象厭煩於群體的生活而後進入了森林,牠看見了佛陀坐在婆羅雙樹的樹下;在看見了佛陀的時候牠覺得自己像一個悲傷為大水緩和的人;帶著牠心中的虔誠,他歸向了佛陀並站在他的身旁。從那天起,如同牠的日常行程,他清掃賢善婆羅雙樹周圍的土地以及用細樹枝打掃佛陀的住所所以地上沒有雜草;牠帶水給佛陀洗臉;牠盛接水給佛陀洗澡;他供給一條細樹枝以用作牙刷;牠帶來各種大小的香甜可口的水果以作為供養,佛陀接受而當作食物。
(With his trunk the elephant brought firewood. By rubbing the fire sticks with one another he produced fire, into which he put stones to bake them; when the stones became hot, he rolled them down into a stone basin by means of a stick; then he tried to ascertain whether the water was hot enough or not; if he knew it was, he approached the Buddha and stood near him. Perceiving that "the elephant wanted me to bathe", the Buddha went to the stone basin and bathed. In the same way did the elephant also keep drinking water. (What should be taken as remarkable from this is that the Buddha drank boiled water that had
(大象用他的長鼻子運來木柴。牠藉著摩擦木柴來生火,放入石頭加熱;當石頭變熱,牠用一根木杖來滾動它們進入一個石盆;然後牠探查水是否已經夠熱;如果牠知道夠熱了,牠就靠近佛陀並站在他身旁。覺察到「大象希望我去沐浴」,佛陀就前往石盆並沐浴。大象用同樣的方法保存飲用的水。(應該被特別注意的是佛陀飲用的是已經被冷卻過的開水)
[15]
been cooled.) (All this is an extract from the Vinaya Mahāvagga Aṭṭhakathā and the Sāratthadīpanī Ṭīkā.)
(這些全部都是摘錄於律藏犍度部義注與Sāratthadīpanī 注解《注書》的《疏鈔》。
(The following is the narrative from the Kosambaka Story of the Dhammapada Commentary, Volume One.)
(下面的是敘事體的法句經注釋的憍賞彌的故事,第一卷。)
When the Buddha entered the village for alms-food, Pālileyyaka elephant carried the Buddha's bowl and robe on his head and went along with him. When the Buddha reached the edge of the village, he said to the elephant: "Pālileyyaka, it is not fit for you to follow me beyond this point. Get me my bowl and robe!"; thus he let the elephant put down his requisites from the head, and, carrying them by himself, he moved into the village.
當佛陀為了食物的供養進入村莊,波利耶大象帶著佛陀的缽與僧袍在牠的頭上然後跟著佛陀一起走。當佛陀抵達村莊的邊緣,他向大象說:「波利耶,在這裡你不適合再跟我往前走了。把我的缽與僧袍給我吧!;於是他讓大象從頭上放下他的必需物品,以及,自己帶著它們,他走入村莊。
The elephant stayed only at that very spot till the Buddha's return and when the latter came back, he greeted him and in the previous manner he took the bowl and robe. On arriving home in the forest dwelling he placed them in their proper place; and waiting on the Master, he fanned him with a twig. When night fell, intending, "I will give protection to the Buddha", he held a big stick with his trunk and roamed in the forest till dawn to ward off any danger from lions, tigers and leopards.
大象停留在那個特定地點直到佛陀回來而且過一會兒回來的時候,牠跟佛陀打招呼以及以原來的方式牠帶上缽與僧袍。抵達森林中的住所時牠將它們放置在適當的位置;然後等待大師,牠用一株小樹枝為佛陀搧風。當夜晚降臨,他預想著,「我要保護佛陀」,牠用牠的象鼻抓著一根大木棍然後漫遊在森林中直到黎明以避免任何由獅子,老虎與豹帶來的危險。
N.B. From that time onwards the huge forest came to be known as Pālileyyaka Rakkhita Forest, for it was guarded by Pālileyyaka elephant.
注意從那時開始這座大森林為人所熟知是波利耶守護森林,以其為波利耶大象守護而得名。
He performed in like manner all his duties beginning with offering of the water for the Buddha to wash the face at day-break.
牠以如此的方式進行就像牠的責任開始於供給水給佛陀洗臉在一天的開始。
In this way the Buddha spent the tenth vassa-period in the Pālileyyaka forest receiving service rendered by Pālileyyaka elephant.
在波利耶森林接受波利耶大象提供的供養以這樣的方式佛陀度過第十個雨安居期。
[16]
Things going on in the city of Kosambī
故事在憍賞彌城繼續地進行
While the Buddha was thus spending the vassa in the Pālileyyaka forest, the wealthy Ghosaka and other lay devotees and donors, residents of Kosambī, went to the Ghositārāma monastery and not seeing the Buddha they inquired, "Venerable sirs, where is the Master staying?" To this the monks gave a sad answer saying, "Donors, the Master has gone to the Pālileyyaka forest." "Why?" asked the lay devotees. "The Master tried to restore unity to us as we were disunited," said the monks. "But (having developed hatred among ourselves) we refused to be united. (Hence the Master's departure to the Pālileyyaka forest.)" "How is it, sirs?" asked the lay people. "Despite your ordination from the Buddha's hand, and despite his attempt to restore your unity, do you remain disunited?" The monks admitted that it was true.
當佛陀如是地在波利耶森林度過雨安居,富有的瞿沙伽以及其他在家的虔誠信徒和供養者,憍賞彌的居民,行走到瞿師羅園美音精舍但沒有看到佛陀於是詢問道,「尊敬的先生們,大師停留在何處呢?」對此這些比丘給了一個傷感的回答,大德們,大師已經去波利耶森林了。」「為什麼?」在家的虔誠信徒們問道。「大師試著要恢復和諧因為我們是不和諧的,」比丘們回答道。「但是(相互之間已經累積了怨恨)我們拒絕變得和諧。(於是導致大師的離開前往波利耶森林)「怎麼會這樣呢,先生們?」在家的人們問道。「儘管佛陀給你們的協調以及儘管他試圖恢復你們的和諧,你們依然不和諧嗎?」比丘們承認這是真實的。
Many male and female lay devotees, citizens of Kosambī, agreed saying among themselves, "These Kosambī monks who have been ordained by the Exalted One are not united in spite of his effort to unite them. On account of them, we have long been deprived of the chance to behold the Master. We will give no seats to them, nor will we pay respects!" From that time onwards, the quarrelsome and contentious monks of Kosambī were no longer treated with respects. (much less with the four requisites).
許多男性與女性的在家虔誠信徒,憍賞彌的公民,同意他們自己的說法,「這些世尊剃度的憍賞彌比丘並不團結和諧儘管世尊努力團結他們。由於他們的緣故,我們已經長久地被剝奪了得見大師的機會。我們將不會讓座給他們,也不會給予尊重!」從那個時候起,喜歡爭吵與愛爭論的憍賞彌比丘們不再被尊敬地對待。(四種必需品的供養減少了很多)
Because of the scarcity of food and starvation, the monks became emaciated day by day and came to their senses after a few days. They confessed their faults and apologized to one another with salutations; they also begged the laity's pardon, saying, "We have become united, donors, please treat us as before!" "Have you tendered apology to the Master?" asked the lay people. "No, donors, not yet." "Then you had better do so. After your so doing will we treat you, sirs, as before," replied the lay people tactfully. Since it was a vassa-period the monks did not dare to visit the Buddha and had to pass the three months of vassa miserably.
因為糧食的短缺與飢餓,比丘們一天一天變得消瘦然後幾天後感到覺悟了。他們承認他們的錯誤並且向彼此行禮表示道歉;他們也向在家的人們尋求原諒,說道,「我們已經變得團結和諧了,供養者們,請像從前那樣對待我們吧!」「你們已經柔軟地向大師道歉了嗎?」在家的人們問道。「不,供養者們,還沒有。」「那麼你們最好那樣做。在你們那樣做之後我們會像從前那樣對待你們,先生們,」在家的人們機智地回答道。由於那是一個雨安居的時期比丘們不敢拜訪佛陀所以必須艱苦地度過那三個月的雨安居時期。
[17]
The Monkey inspired by Pālileyyaka elephant
得到波利耶大象激勵的猴子
Enjoying the service of Pālileyyaka elephant (as has been said before), the Buddha stayed happily in the Pālileyyaka forest for the three vassa months.
愉快地受用著波利耶大象的供養(如之前所述),佛陀快樂地停留在波利耶森林三個雨安居之久。
At that time a monkey, seeing daily duties performed actively and energetically by Pālileyyaka elephant, became inspired and thought to himself, "I too will do some act of merit towards the Master." One day while roaming about he found a tree-branch with a honeycomb devoid of bees, broke it and brought it with the broken branch to the Buddha: he then cut a plantain leaf on which he placed the honeycomb and offered it to the Buddha. The Buddha accepted it.
在那個時間有一隻猴子,看見波利耶大象積極與精力充沛的日常工作,受到激勵而想到了自己,「我也想為大師做那樣的功德。」有一天當牠漫遊的時候牠找到一個樹幹上有一個沒有蜜蜂的蜂巢,打破了之後和斷的樹枝一起帶給佛陀:於是牠摘下一片香蕉葉將蜂巢放上後供養給佛陀。佛陀接受了猴子的供養。
The monkey watched to see whether the Buddha would enjoy it or not, and he saw him remaining in his seat and just holding the honeycomb without eating it. The monkey investigated; wondering why, he took the honeycomb by its edge and turned it round only to see the bee-eggs, which he slowly and gently removed and offered it again to the Buddha. Then only did the Buddha eat it.
猴子看著佛陀想看佛陀是否會喜歡牠的供養,然後牠看見佛陀依然待在他的座位上但只是拿著蜂巢並不食用它。猴子研究了一下;好奇著為什麼,牠拿著蜂巢的邊緣旋轉看到了一些螞蟻的蛋,牠輕柔地慢慢地移除了螞蟻蛋然後再次供養給佛陀。佛陀那時才食用蜂巢。
So elated was the monkey that he joyously danced moving from one tree branch to another; while so doing both the branch he was holding with his hand and that he was treading on broke off and he fell on a tree stump. With his body pierced by the stump but with his mind devoted to the Buddha, he died and was reborn in a golden mansion measuring thirty yojanas in the Deva abode of Tāvatiṁsa. He was known as Makkaṭa Deva (monkey god) having a thousand female celestials as his retinue.
猴子感到非常高興得意然後快樂地在樹木之間跳躍;當牠這麼做時牠所抓住以及踩住的樹枝一起斷裂然後牠掉到了一個樹墩上。牠的身體被樹墩穿刺而破但以牠虔誠於佛的心意識,牠死亡並重生在忉利天一座三十由旬寬的金色宅第之中。祂就是大家所知道的有著一千位的天界異性隨從的Makkaṭa Deva(猴神)。
[18]
Pālileyyaka's thought and the Buddha's udāna
波利耶的思維與佛說無問自說經
To Pālileyyaka elephant, who had been fulfilling his daily duties to the Buddha in the aforesaid manner, it occurred thus:
對於波利耶大象來說,如之前所說的那樣一直盡心地完成供養佛陀的日常工作,牠突然想到了:
"Associated with young males, females, courting males and sucklings, I could not live in peace formerly. I had to feed on the grass without their sprouts; all the branches and twigs brought down from trees were devoured by all others. It is the unclean water that I had to drink. What is more, female elephants showed no regard for me as I was rudely jostled by them when I came up from the water. Now that I have departed from them all I can live alone in peace."
「與許多大象結交關係,年輕的,雌性的,成熟的與年幼的,我可能無法像先前那樣生活在和平之中。我必須處理沒有嫩芽的草食;所有帶下來的樹枝與嫩枝都被其他大象狼吞虎嚥地吃光。我必須喝的是不乾淨的水。更有甚者,雌象並不關心注重我因為當我從水中起來時我被粗魯地推擠。現在我已經完全離開牠們所以我可以生活在和平中了。」
Knowing by himself his own peaceful life away from his companions and knowing also the thought of Pālileyyaka elephant, the Buddha breathed forth this udāna, 'solemn utterance':
知道了他自己的離開了他的同伴的和平生活以及同時知道了波利耶大象的思維,佛陀輕輕地誦出了這部無問自說經, ”莊嚴的聲調”:
Etaṁ nāgassa nāgena, īsādantassa hatthino;
Sameti cittaṁ cittena, yadeko ramatī vane.
這樣的大象,那樣的大象;
彼此結交認識,但獨自生活使牠高興快樂。
Being alone in this forest named Rakkhita, I the Buddha, the Teacher of the three classes of beings (Brahmās, Devas and human beings), take delight. In the same way this elephant called Pālileyyaka delights being alone in this very forest. Therefore the thought of Pālileyyaka elephant, who possesses the pole-like tusks is the same as mine. I who have been named Buddha-nāga, the elephant-like Buddha, am living in the forest seclusion.
獨自在這座名為守護的森林中,我佛陀,三界的導師(梵天以及天神與人類),以此為樂。以同樣的方式這隻名為波利耶的大象正是以獨自在這座森林為樂。所以這隻有著竿子一般長的象牙的波利耶大象,思維和我一樣。得名..如像,生活在這個隔絕孤立的森林。

Ānanda's entreaty to the Buddha
阿難尊者對佛陀的懇求
The life of the Buddha observing vassa in the forest of Pālileyyaka enjoying the service rendered by Pālileyyaka elephant became well known throughout the whole Jambūdīpa. The wealthy Anāthapiṇḍika,
佛陀在波利耶森林中的敏銳觀察的雨安居生活中享用波利耶大象的供養成為整個南贍部洲眾所周知的故事。富有的給孤獨長者,
[19]
the monastery-donor Visākhā and other high-born residents of Sāvatthi sent their message to the Thera Ānanda saying, "Venerable Sir, kindly help us have an opportunity to behold the Exalted One!"
修院施主維沙卡居士以及其他沙瓦提的高種姓居民傳達了他們的訊息給阿難長老,「尊者,好心地幫助我們有一個可以看到世尊的機會吧!」
Five hundred bhikkhus who had been staying all over the places approached Ānanda at the end of vassa and made a request to him with these words, "Friend Ānanda, it has been long since we heard last the sermon from the Master. Friend Ānanda, we beg you. We would like to have a chance again to listen to the Exalted One."
在雨安居的後期五百位曾經遊歷四方的比丘走近了阿難陀並以這些話要求他,「朋友阿難,我們已經很久沒聽到大師的開示了。朋友阿難,我們懇求你。我們很想再有一次機會可以聽世尊開示。」
Then Ānanda Thera went to the Pālileyyaka forest leading the five hundred monks but he thought that it would not be nice to draw near the Buddha together with such a large crowd as the Buddha had been living a solitary life for the whole vassa. He therefore left the monks somewhere else and approached the Buddha by himself.
然後阿難長老帶著五百位比丘前往波利耶森林但是他覺得佛陀已經遠離獨住了整個雨安居時期所以如此數目眾多的比丘前往而引起注意可能是不好的。於是他將比丘們留在了某個地方然後獨自前往尋找佛陀。
On seeing the Venerable Ānanda, Pālileyyaka elephant rushed to him carrying a stick in the grip of his trunk (for he mistook him for an enemy). When the Buddha saw this he stopped the elephant saying, "Go away, Pālileyyaka, go away! Do not block his way. This monk is my attendant." The elephant then dropped the stick and made a gesture to express his desire to take the Thera's bowl and robe but the Thera refused to hand them.
看到阿難尊者的時候,波利耶大象用牠的象鼻緊握著一根大木棍衝向尊者(因為牠誤認尊者為敵人)。佛陀看到了這樣的情景時叫住了大象,「快離開,波利耶,快離開!不要擋住他的路。這位比丘是我的侍者。」大象於是丟下了木棍然後作姿表示牠願意幫助拿長老的缽與僧袍但是長老拒絕拿給牠。
Then the elephant thought, "If this monk were conversant with the rules of an attendant he would not put his requisites on the stone slab which is the seat of the Master." The Thera Ānanda laid down his bowl and robe on the ground. (Never does a well conducted person or a man versed in duties place his belongings on the seat or the bed of the respected teacher.)
於是大象想,「如果這位比丘是熟悉侍者的規則的他不會將他的隨身物品放在大師的石板座位上。」長老阿難將他的缽與僧袍放在地上。(絕不會有具有良好引導之人或是熟悉職責的人將他的攜帶物品放在尊師的座位或床上。)
After paying obeisance to the Buddha, Ānanda Thera sat down in a blameless place. "Dear son, Ānanda, did you come alone?" asked the Buddha. When informed that the Thera came together with five hundred monks, the Buddha inquired further, "Where are those five hundred monks now?" "I came having left them somewhere else as I
頂禮佛陀之後,阿難長老坐在一個無過失的地方。「親愛的弟子,阿難,你獨自一個人來的嗎?」佛陀問道。當說出阿難長老是與五百位比丘一起來的時候,佛陀更進一步詢問,、那五百位比丘現在在哪裡?」「我前來時將他們留在某處因為我
[20]
did not know the inclination of the Exalted One", replied the Venerable Ānanda. "Bring them in, dear Ānanda," the Buddha ordered.
不知道世尊的喜好如何」,阿難尊者回答道。「親愛的阿難陀,帶他們進來吧,」佛陀命令道。
As had been ordered by the Buddha, the Thera Ānanda called the five hundred monks who came and paid obeisance to the Buddha and took their appropriate seats. When the Buddha had exchanged friendly greetings with them, the monks said to the Buddha, "You, Exalted One, are gentle partly because you have become a Buddha and partly because you have come of an aristocratic family. You have done a difficult thing by living all by yourself for the whole vassa. It seems that you have no one to attend to your needs, nobody to bring you the water for washing your face and so on." "Monks," addressed the Buddha, "Pālileyyaka elephant has fulfilled all the duties due to me. In fact, one who has a good companion of such nature should live with that companion. In the absence of such a companion only a solitary life is praiseworthy. He then gave the following three verses which are preserved in the Nāga-Vagga (of the Dhammapada.)
因為佛陀的命令,長老阿難便呼叫這五百位過來向佛陀行禮然後坐在合適的座位上。當佛陀對他們回以友善的問候時,比丘們對佛陀說,「你,世尊,是溫和高貴的,部分是因為你已經成為佛陀,部分則是因為你來自一個貴族之家。你已經完成了整個雨安居完全獨自居住這一件困難的事。你似乎不需要有人服侍你的需要,沒有人帶水給你洗臉以及其他的需要。」「比丘們,」佛陀表示道,「波利耶大象已經完成所有有關我的工作了。事實上,一個具如此良好性格的同伴應該要跟牠一起生活才是。如果沒有這樣的同伴那麼只有獨住遠離的生活才是值得讚嘆的。然後佛陀給他們講了三首保存在象品(法句經)的偈頌。
Sace labhetha nipakaṁ sahāyaṁ,
Saddhiṁ caraṁ sādhuvihāri dhīraṁ.
Abhibhuyya sabbāni parissayāni,
Careyya tenattamano satīmā.
No ce labhetha nipakaṁ sahāyaṁ,
Saddhiṁ caraṁ sādhuvihāri dhīraṁ.
Rājāva raṭṭhaṁ vijitaṁ pahāya,
Eko care mātaṅgaraññeva nāgo.
Ekassa caritaṁ seyyo,
Natthi bāle sahāyatā.
Eko care na ca pāpāni kayirā,
Appossukko mātaṅgaraññeva nāgo.
(The meaning of these three verses has been given in the 27th chapter of the Third Volume; see p478-479.) At the end of the verses the five hundred monks became established in the Arahattaphala.
節錄於此網址
http://myweb.ncku.edu.tw/…/Khud…/Dhamma ... -z-all.htm
三二八 若得同行伴───善行富智慮,能服諸艱困,欣然共彼行。
三二九 若無同行伴───善行富智慮,應如王棄國,如象獨行林。
三三○ 寧一人獨行,不與愚為友。獨行離欲惡,如象獨遊林。
(這三首偈頌的意義已經寫入在第三冊的第二十七章;可見於p478-479。)佛陀講完這三首偈頌之後這五百位比丘都證得了阿羅漢果。
[21]
Then the Thera Ānanda gave the message from the wealthy Anāthapiṇḍika and the monastery donor Visākhā and all, saying "Exalted One, the five crores of noble donors, lay men and women, citizens of Sāvatthi, headed by Anāthapiṇḍika the merchant, are waiting in great hopes for your coming." "In that case, dear Ānanda, bring my bowl and robe," so saying the Buddha set out from the Pālileyyaka forest.
阿難長老傳達了富有的給孤獨長者和修院施主維沙卡居士以及其他所有人的訊息,「高貴的施主的五千萬盧比,在家的優婆塞與優婆夷,舍衛城的居民,由商人給孤獨帶領,現在非常期待世尊您的到來。「既然如此,親愛的阿難,帶著我的缽與僧袍吧」,說著佛陀便從波利耶森林出發了。
At that time Pālileyyaka elephant came and lay across the path that was to be taken by the Buddha and his assembly of bhikkhus. When the bhikkhus asked, "Exalted One, what is the elephant doing?" the Buddha replied, "Monks, the elephant is desirous of offering alms food to you dear sons. In fact, this elephant has specially rendered service to me for a long time for which I am grateful. He ought not to be disappointed. Let us turn back, monks!" With these words, the Buddha turned back, leading the monks.
那時波利耶大象走過來躺在佛陀與他的僧眾要使用的道路上。當比丘問,「世尊,這隻大象在做什麼?」佛陀回答道,「比丘們,大象正想要供養食物給你們這些可愛的弟子。事實上,這隻大象已經特別地供養我一段很長的時間了所以我很歡喜。牠不應該感到失望。讓我們往回走去吧,比丘們!」講完這些之後,佛陀帶領著比丘們,往回走去。
Pālileyyaka went into the forest and gathered various edible fruits such as Jack fruit, bananas and so on; he brought them, kept them in heaps for offering to the monks the following day. The five hundred monks could not eat up all.
波利耶走入森林然後採集各種可食用的水果比如木菠蘿,香蕉以及其他水果;牠帶著這些水果,將他們放置成堆來讓剩下的時間可以供養給比丘們。五百位比丘們無法將這些水果全部吃完。
When the eating was over the Buddha had his bowl and robe brought and left the forest. Pālileyyaka elephant made his way through the monks and stood across right in front of the Buddha again. "Exalted One, what is the matter with the elephant?" the monks asked. "The elephant wants me to turn back and to send you dear sons away," answered the Buddha, who also said to the elephant, "This time I am going positively without turning back. With this body of yours it is not possible for you to attain Jhāna, Insight, the Path and Fruition, Stay behind!" On hearing these words, the elephant, putting his trunk into his mouth and weeping, followed the assembly of monks headed by the Buddha. Indeed, if he were able to make the Buddha return for life would he serve the Master only in the previous manner.
當這些食用都結束了佛陀帶著他的缽與僧袍然後離開了森林。波利耶大象又再次穿越過比丘們並正好站在佛陀之前。「世尊,這隻大象有什麼事嗎?」比丘們問道。「大象想要我返回並送走你們這些可愛的弟子,」佛陀回答道,同時對大象說,「這次我肯定要走而且不會回來了。以你這樣的形體是不可能達到禪定與智慧,道與果的,留在這裡!」聽到這些話之後,大象將他的鼻子放入牠的嘴巴裡面哭泣,跟隨著佛陀帶領的僧團。確實,如果牠能讓佛陀回來生活牠會只以先前的方式供養大師。
[22]
On reaching the outskirts of the Pālileyyaka village the Buddha addressed his last words to the elephant: "Pālileyyaka, beyond this point is no habitat of yours. A human abode is dangerous. You had better remain here!" The elephant stood lamenting there with his eyes set on the Buddha as far as he could see, when he lost sight of the Buddha he died of a broken-heart at that very place. By virtue of his meritorious state of devotion to the Buddha he was reborn a god with a retinue of a thousand celestials in a golden mansion thirty yojanas wide; he bore the famous name of Pālileyyaka Deva.
在接近波利耶村莊的外圍時,佛陀傳達了他給大象最後的話語:「波利耶,過了這裡就不是你的棲息地了。人類的居住地是危險的。你最好停在這裡!」大象站立著哀傷哭泣並看著佛陀遠去直到身影消失,當牠看不見佛陀的身影時因為傷心的緣故牠就在那個地方死去了。藉著牠獻身於供養佛陀的令人敬佩的功德,在一座三十由旬寬的金色宅第,牠重生為一名擁有一千名天界隨從的天神;祂就是知名的波利耶天神。
Here ends the story of Pālileyyaka elephant.
波利耶大象的故事到這裡結束了。
====================================

第28章的完整翻譯
https://www.facebook.com/hjkoiim/posts/934417483429526
https://www.facebook.com/hjkoiim/posts/934418343429440

回覆文章